Research shows that the memory we have of our past experiences with brands is entirely determined by two factors:
- The intensity of the experience we get at its peak (best/worst)
- How we felt when the experience ended
As Barry Manilow said of his fans, "they won’t remember what I sing, but they’ll remember how I made them feel".
So what can we learn from this?
- Finish strong
- Get bad experiences over early
- Segment pleasure and combine the pain
- Build customer commitment through choice
- Stick to rituals
- Align pleasure peaks with brand values
- Dramatize the brand promise/values